Good afternoon you lovely people, I haven’t done a fact post in a while, so I thought it was due time to do another one! These are some incredibly weird facts that I never ever knew… Until now.
1.The longest time between two twins being born is 87 days.
2. In 2007, an American man named Corey Taylor tried to fake his own death in order to get out of his cell phone contract without paying a fee. It didn’t work. ( That must of been one horrible contract )
3.The oldest condoms ever found date back to the 1640s (they were found in a cesspit at Dudley Castle), and were made from animal and fish intestines. – That sounds lovely, doesn’t it?
4.Female kangaroos have three vaginas. < What? how.. Um so many questions?
5.Light doesn’t necessarily travel at the speed of light. The slowest we’ve ever recorded light moving at is 38 mph. Slow slow light…
6.Casu marzu is a Sardinian cheese that contains live maggots. The maggots can jump up to five inches out of cheese while you’re eating it, so it’s a good idea to shield it with your hand to stop them jumping into your eyes. WTF. JUST WTF.
7.During World War II, the crew of the British submarine HMS Trident kept a fully grown reindeer called Pollyanna aboard their vessel for six weeks (it was a gift from the Russians). < At least they had a pet!
8.The first man to urinate on the moon was Buzz Aldrin, shortly after stepping onto the lunar surface. < LAD.
9.Experiments show that male rhesus macaque monkeys will pay to look at pictures of female rhesus macaques’ bottoms. < Cheeky animals!
10.Vladimir Nabokov nearly invented the smiley.
11. The Dutch village of Giethoorn has no roads; its buildings are connected entirely by canals and footbridges.
12. A family of people with blue skin lived in Kentucky for many generations. The Fulgates of Troublesome Creek are thought to have gained their blue skin through combination of inbreeding and a rare genetic condition known as methemoglobinemia.
13. Powerful earthquakes can permanently shorten the length of Earth’s day, by moving the spin of the Earth’s axis. The 2011 Japan earthquake knocked 1.8 microseconds off our days. The 2004 Sumatra quake cost us around 6.8 microseconds.
14.. The first American film to show a toilet being flushed on screen was Alfred Hitchcock’s Psycho.
15.. Melting glaciers and icebergs make a distinctive fizzing noise known as “bergy seltzer”.
16.. There is a glacier called “Blood Falls” in Antarctica that regularly pours out red liquid, making it look like the ice is bleeding. (It’s actually oxidised salty water.)
17.. In 2008 scientists discovered a new species of bacteria that lives in hairspray. < Great one for you girls!
18. The katzenklavier (“cat piano”) was a musical instrument made out of cats. Designed by 17th-century German scholar Athanasius Kircher, it consisted of a row of caged cats with different voice pitches, who could be “played” by a keyboardist driving nails into their tails.
19. The largest snowflake ever recorded reportedly measured 15 inches across. < Big ass snowflake!
20. The Romans used to clean and whiten their teeth with urine. Apparently it works. Please don’t do not try this, please god no.
Do you have any other weird facts, that I should know? Comment your weird facts below or tweet me @mrjamesvincent,
Have a great afternoon,