Bonfire Night, is coming up so you need some great Bonfire Night Drinks to really get you in the Holiday Spirit!
Hot Mulled Wine,
- 2 oranges
- 2 bottles red wine
- 1 bottle white wine
- 1 (6cm) piece of fresh root ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 5 tablespoons demerara sugar, or to taste
- 4 tablespoons brandy (optional)
Prep:10min › Cook:1hr15min › Ready in:1hr25min
- Use a sharp knife or a vegetable peeler to remove the zest from the oranges in strips, being careful to remove only the orange part, leaving the pith behind. Then, juice the oranges into a large, heavy-bottomed pot.
- Pour the red wine and white wine into the pot with the orange juice. Place the strips of orange zest, ginger, cinnamon sticks, cloves and sugar into the pot with the wine mixture; stir to dissolve the sugar.
- Cover and heat over medium-high until heated through, but not boiling, reduce the heat to medium-low and heat for an hour or longer to bring all of the flavours together. Adjust the sweetness by adding more sugar, if necessary. Strain and serve hot with a splash of brandy, if desired. This is one of my favourite Bonfire Night Drinks.
Hot Mulled Apple Juice,
- 1.5L (2½ pints) apple juice
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 6 whole cloves
- 6 whole allspice berries
- peel of 1 orange, cut into strips
- peel of 1 lemon, cut into strips
- Pour the apple juice and maple syrup into a large stainless steel saucepan.
- Place the cinnamon sticks, cloves, allspice berries, orange peel and lemon peel in a muslin spice bag. Secure with kitchen string. Drop the spice bag into the juice mixture.
- Place the saucepan over medium heat for 5 to 10 minutes or until the mixture is very hot but not boiling.
- Remove from the heat. Discard the spice bag. Ladle the cider into big cups or mugs, adding a fresh cinnamon stick to each serving if desired.
Hot mulled cranberry punch,
- 2L (3 1/4 pints) cranberry juice
- 2 oranges, zested
- 14 whole cloves
- 175g (6 oz) dried cranberries
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 300g (11 oz) honey
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- Pour cranberry juice into a slow cooker; set on high. Add remaining ingredients to the juice. Heat, stirring occasionally, until hot and steamy, about 20 minutes. < One of my favourite Bonfire Night Drinks,
Don’t have a slow cooker? Simply make this in a large stockpot over medium heat on the hob instead.