Strange and Fun Facts about London
Heres a small blog post on some Strange and Fun Facts about London;
Hope you enjoy,
- The tallest Ferris wheel in Europe is the London Eye with a height of 135metres.
- Surveys show that around 16% of Britain’s restaurants are located in London.
- The World’s first underground subway (metro) system was built in London.
- London has a population of around 8.1 million and if it was a country it would be the 8th largest in Europe.
- The third longest escalator in Western Europe is located at the Angel Tube Station in Angel Islington. It used to be the Longest.
- London is the only city to have hosted the Olympic Games on three occasions.
- It’s generally believed that around 80,000 umbrellas are left in the London Underground each year.
- The first public zoo was opened in London in 1847 it still exists as ZSL London Zoo.
- It’s generally accepted that there are 439 escalators in the London subways.
- The correct name of the tower of London is His Majesty’s Royal Palace and Fortress the Tower of London.
- Part of the London Underground – two miles of The Central Line – was turned into a secret aircraft factory during WWII.
- A large part of the Classic Sci-Fi Film ‘Aliens’ was filmed at an abandoned power station in Acton London.
- In 1863, the world’s first traffic light was used outside the House of Commons in London. It exploded in 1867.
- St. Bride’s Church in Fleet Street is constructed in tiers and said to be the inspiration for classic wedding cakes.
If you want to see the full post on the Fun and Strange Facts about London check out their site!