1. Twitter almost never came to be. In 2006, there was a company called Odeo, which helped individuals publish audio. With a lack of growth and investors souring, the company pivoted and decided to conduct a hackathon one day. This brain-storming competition led to the birth of Twitter.
2. When Twitter began, everyone’s first tweet was automated. It published, “Just setting up my twttr.” Co-founder Dorsey sent the first tweet—beating Biz Stone by a minute—on March 21, 2006, at 4:50 p.m. PT. It now has more than 50,000 retweets.
3. The official name of Twitter’s bird is Larry. Yes, his name is Larry Bird. The iconic little fellow—seen in Twitter’s logo shown in TV commercials, print ads and practically every website.
4. When the founding team was building the product, it called it “Jitter” at one point. It was a “terrible” name,
5. Twitter paid a “minuscule” amount for Twitter.com, Dorsey says. Before Twitter purchased the domain in 2006 from someone else, there was nothing going on at the page.
6. The length of the messages users send on Twitter has gotten shorter over the last five years, researchers say.
7. Ending a tweet with an empty hashtag is called a hangtag, and it’s Twitter’s version of the mic drop, the team at Medium declaredrecently.
8. Dorsey hasn’t posted to his Instagram account ever since Facebook acquired the service.
9. Instagram co-founder Kevin Systrom (@Kevin) has tweeted just one time since August 2012.
10. The “unfollow” button was almost called “leave.”
11. Twitter was thinking about creating a feature called “worship” in the early days. “If you worshipped someone, you would get every single one of their messages,” Dorsey says. “The full fire hose of what they’re saying.” The idea was ditched.
12. Why are posts limited to 140 characters? Twitter was born as an SMS phone service designed to fit its character limit.
13. Did you know there is this unwritten rule at the company that employees can’t be verified.
14. They have had some serious laws after its crackdown in 2014
15. Want to follow the coolest person? Follow me @mrjamesvincent
Have a great afternoon,